Friday, January 10, 2014

Water for Elephants

To be honest, this book wasn't anything I was expecting. But hey, I don't think I was really expecting anything. I mean, I don't think that I had any idea of what I was about to read. All I knew about this book was that there was "elephants" in the title, [my favorite animal for the record], and there was some hype about it a little while ago. It is a #1 New York Times Bestseller. After some contemplating, I think it's deserving of that honor. I can't say I didn't like it, or I was disappointed.

The novel, written by Sara Gruen, was drafted during NaNoWriMo [National Novel Writing Month::http://nanowrimo.org/] in its early beginnings. But that's just a fun fact. Following Jacob Jankowski from young adult to age 90 (or 93), the story of love, morality, the deeper questions and friendship explores the lifestyle of the 1930's circus crew. Even though the main story revolves around Jacob and Marlena, the novel really reaches out and searches answers to bigger themes. How does one live with evil? What can one really do when power is corrupted? In unfortunate circumstance, what is the best reaction? What is justifiable? Where is home? 


Although Gruen introduces the climax in the very beginning, which I generally dislike, she gives no significant plot away. It actually did not play a huge role in the interpretation of the book's events. One can only wait and watch as things develop. My only criticism of the novel is that the finish felt, slightly, fanciful. To an extent, the finish is possible, but it does not seem plausible. However, someone else may feel differently.

I would also like to just say: image my surprise, and disappointment, when I found out that Robert Pattinson plays Jacob in the film. [He's suppose to have red hair for one]. I'm generally not impressed or inspired by Pattinson. The image of Edward, from Twilight, being in love with a married woman [Marlena] makes it only creepy. Does he watch her in her sleep too? I guess, I'll just have to watch it and see. 

Once Again, 
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment