Sunday, January 5, 2014

A Thousand Splendid Suns

Here's #1: A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.

I can tell you already that my reaction to this book was extremely emotional. It came to a point where I was up until 3am wondering how in the world I have EVER complained about anything in my life. Set in Afghanistan from the 1970s all the way through the early 2000s, the story of Mariam and Laila walks through the crumbling of the country. War, grief, oppression, and devastation hit both of these women from every angle: physically, mentally and emotionally. 

Without giving away any significant details of the plot, I will start here: both Mariam and Laila end up married to Rasheed. Through this man, it is understood what it means to be a woman in Taliban controlled Afghanistan. An attempt to run away ends up with a beating, walking the streets without a male family member [mahram] deserves a beating, speaking the truth is worth a beating, disappointing your husband is, again, a beating. Laila says at one point that "[she] never would have believed that a human body could withstand this much beating, this viciously, this regularly, and keep functioning" (287). And even though this work is fictionally based on history--one does not doubt the truth of these events. Reading the novel, I never once doubted that this happened/happens all across the Middle East. 

On a personal level, I had to stop reading and just wonder: how in the world did I get so lucky? How in all the world was I blessed enough to be born in a time and place without war? Physically--it's easy enough to understand: a couple got pregnant and had a child by choice. But what are the chances? I could have, just as easily, been a bi-product of an Afghan household in the last forty years. I beg the question to powers of the universe, God, Allah, or whatever deity and ask why. How am I so lucky that I never look at a belt buckle in fear? Why I am I lucky enough to have a father that has never hit me hard enough to bruise? Why do I take for granted the physical freedom to show my face? Mariam, who is the hero in this story, is undeservingly punished throughout her life. It puts petty difficulties into perspective and brings to light great perseverance. Born so blessed, A Thousand Splendid Suns leads to a question: what can I do for the betterment of those who suffer? 

Even though this story has a plethora of unfortunate events, the amount of love between Mariam and Laila is enough to make it worth it. Love touches the heart, just as much as the beatings make it ache. I highly suggest the read. Also, the title is perfect for the content. Props to Hosseini on that decision. 


grateful and blessed, 
Emily



1 comment:

  1. This books sounds really good, I haven't heard of it before. Thank you for bring in to my attention.

    ReplyDelete