Monday, September 15, 2014

Treasure Island

Oh boy. This story has a much different pace from the last few books I've read, and I'm glad. Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson has been on my reading list for, literally, years. This book was the last book my eighth grade English teacher, Mr. Hayward, had us read. We read it out loud in class, and worked our way through the pirate slang and slightly older English terms, and spelling. However, the school year ended before the book did. I was determined, as a 14 year old, to finish the book. Butttt, then I moved and was meeting new people in a new place, and it got put aside. It wasn't until I saw this perfect copy at Goodwill two weeks ago that I knew it was time.

For the last eight years I have periodically wondered--what happened to the pirate mutiny? Did they make it out alive? You see, I've been under the impression for past eight years that they all died. Not to give anything away, but it doesn't quite end like that. 

Originally published in 1883, Stevenson starts our story at the Admiral Benbow Inn with young boy Jim Hawkins (the MC). Through a series of rather unpredictable events, he becomes the owner of a famous treasure map in the pirate community and is sent off to find it. There is a continuous tension of mutiny, attack and loyalty on board the ship at sea, especially with the one legged pirate: Long John Silver. I think that one of the reasons this book works so well, in terms of plot and conflict, is the existence of this single character. Hired on as the cook of the ship, Silver is the continuous threat. Never knowing where his loyalty lies, he is the embodiment of the tension between two groups. Honestly, his existence is what makes the read worth while. Hawkins is out main point of view, but that does not mean that I love him. He's young, he makes mistakes, and always seems to have luck on his side. I feel that the story is truly centered around the one-legged pirate and what he will do next.

Oh, and make a note if you plan to read this work of art, that the language will be challenging in areas. I did get lost a few times, and did not understand every detail about working the ship. Did I understand the overall scheme of the story? Yes. Do I understand what a luff is? No. But I do what I can.

Other than that, did you know that young Christian Bale, as known for his film role of Batman, played Jim Hawkins in the 1992 version of Treasure Island

In the making of a terrible pirate,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment