Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Separate Peace

 I started A Separate Peace by John Knowles in March of this year, and for a 200pg. book it took me a long time to finish. I just did not get into it. My older sister, Hannah, recommended it to me and said she finished it in one sitting in only a few short hours. I, on the other hand, read 72 pages and quit for months. The pace of the book is slow, which is fine. But the story did not grab me by the horns and say "LOOK AT ME. I AM STORY". However touching the story may be, there was a monotone rhythm throughout. 

The story is set at a private boys school during WWII, that is seemingly unaffected in the beginning. Our main boys: Finny and Gene (Gene being our 1st person narrative), are partaking in summer classes at the meager age of 17. Throughout the work, there is a growing tension of the draft, enlisting, school being closed down, and surprisingly the topic of the 1944 Olympics. Finny and Gene are in the graduating class of 1943, in the middle of the war, and must take strides to accept their fates. 


What my personal issue with this work is not the story, the plot is touching and irrevocably intense in spots. I had an issue with Gene. I don't relate to him, and I can tell you right off the bat: it's personality. Gene arrives on time, and early; I am always late. Gene is predictable and safe; I like spontaneity and adventure. Gene would rather stay in and study on a sunny day; obviously, I would choose otherwise. He is a much different character than myself, and much different from Finny which is the driving force throughout the plot.

About two thirds through the novel, the story takes a darker turn and continues this path steadily until the climatic end. Warning: this is not a happy story, nor was it ever intended to be. I also was not expecting the end. Maybe I wasn't thinking, or maybe this happens to most people. Either way, I walked away feeling jostled? You don't want things to end the way they do.

I find the title in perfect correspondence to the end of the book, as well. So if you can find any hope in that, dear reader. I'm off to bed.

Onto a separate piece of literature,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment