Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Homeland and Other Stories

Barbara Kingsolver is my absolute favorite author. This collection of short stories titled: Homeland and Other Stories is one of her earliest work. Actually, the author's works list had only two novels in the edition that I read. Another note, before I work on my review, this is my 8th Barbara Kingsolver work (more like 8 1/2) out of 14 total works: including essays, novels, short stories, and prequels. Because of this, I'm probably bias on my opinion of her works.
Barbara Kingsolver in her
younger years.

Unless a short story is famous, or about sci-fi; I don't think I've read any for fun. Short stories as a genre are not enough time for me to reach a deep connection with the characters. With that in mind: this wasn't my favorite work. It is not because of the lack of author's talent, but just a personal preferenceAlthough Homeland is Kingsolver's only series of shorts. I think her artistic preference is in novels and character development, such as The Poisonwood Bible and The Bean Trees. It's also difficult to review a series of small stories--I'm not individually looking at each story.

One of the things that Homeland did for me though was open my eyes to others' experiences. A couple of her stories made me stop and a put the book down. 

Always a fan,

Emily&Jeoffry the Cat



No comments:

Post a Comment