Friday, March 28, 2014

The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down

This work is absolutely brilliant. I have nothing but good words to say about The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman. However, I would not expect this reaction from most people. This is a non-fiction work of literary journalism. When I picked out of my pile of books to read, I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. I feel that it is impossible to give the book justice. 
Above:Anne Fadiman, the author of
this book. In 1997, her work was
given the National Book Critics
Circle Award.

The Spirit Catches You is a work exploring the culture of the Hmong people, the majority living in Laos and southern China, and the intercultural communication of the Hmong and Americans. One of the reasons why I am so pleased with this novel is it has absolute pertinence to my undergraduate degree. I just last week finished a classes on intercultural communication and Chinese religion. This book explores both of these topics. Now, the Hmong is not Chinese, but the religion of the Hmong shares similarities with Taoism [or Daoism]. Reading this journalistic work makes me feel more rounded in my education. With this as a background, I do not expect others to share the same enthusiasm for the topics presented here.

Lia Lee, and her family, is the central character of this anthropologic study. From a very young age Lia Lee has epilepsy.  Her parents, who speak Hmong and no English, have to communicate with American doctors. The conflicts and the lack of understanding ultimately ruin Lia Lee's chances of a "normal" (according to American standards) life. Fadiman fully explores the communication issues on both sides, and exposes the frustrations of doctors and the family. Coming from an American culture, it is difficult to see how other cultures perceive our behaviors. While reading this book, it constantly goes back to American culture is just as confusing as Hmong. A culture only makes sense to those who are apart of it. American medicine is purely logical, while Hmong medicine is based out of spirituality. Lia Lee's family blames the American doctors for ruining their child, for overdosing her, for stealing her from them. On the other hand, the American doctors are frustrated that Lia's parents do not give her the correct amount of medicine, are not following through with prescriptions, and ultimately failing thier daughter.

What makes this work so good is that Fadiman goes alternates between Laotian history and the Lee's current situation. All the information about the Hmong culture is given to the audience, and then put into a real example. If southeast Asia is an area of interest, I highly suggest this valuable and informative journalism. 

Feeling educated,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment